Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trailer of the Day: Blacula (1972)

Blacula (1972)

As I continue my daily trek thru horror movies of the 70's, I look back to my youth reading Famous Monsters of Filmland and watching Creature Features on channel 20 in Washington DC feature Count Gore De Vol. I remember seeing images and reading articles about this little film called Blacula. It had even won best horror film at the 1972 Saturn Awards.
William Marshall's vampire visage would haunt me and, for years, I would place this film high on my 'to see' list.
I would eventually see it and love it. Blacula turned out to be a fantastic and iconic horror film for the 70's. William Marshall was a charming and frightening vampire and his vampire minions were creepy as well. Great stuff.


So here it is... Blacula (1972)





Directed by William Crain. Written by Raymond Koenig and Joan Torres. Starring William Marshall, Vonetta McGee, Denise Nicholas, Thalmus Rasulala, Gordon Pinsent and Elisha Cook Jr.


"Blacula is the story of Manuwalde, an African Prince. This movie presents a modern version of the classic Dracula story in a very chilling and inventive way. In 1780, after visiting Count Dracula, Manuwalde is turned into a vampire and locked in a coffin.. The scene shifts to 1972, when two antique collectors transport the coffin to Los Angeles. The two men open the coffin and unleash Blacula on the city of Los Angeles. Blacula soon finds Tina, who is his wife, Luva, reincarnated, and gains her love. Tina's friend, Dr. Gordon, discovers Blacula is a vampire and hunts him down."

No comments: